GTRI Protects and Secures Critical Data for Children’s Hospital Colorado
Data Center Migration Brings New Era of Resiliency and Sophistication to Premier Hospital
Children’s Hospital Colorado called on GTRI to relocate its backup data center to a highly secure, available and compliant facility. GTRI successfully managed the entire operation in a very short timeframe, including:
- Front-end analysis, readiness evaluations and ‘as built’ documentation and UAT for current / future state
- Continuity requirements, carrier and circuit build-outs
- Coordination of “like for like” physical move, including rigorous vendor management to ensure data was secure at all times
- Upgraded and consolidated hardware
The results were extraordinary. Not only did GTRI enable Children’s Hospital to move from an outdated facility that didn’t meet disaster recovery (DR) requirements, it did so – in the words of the client – “flawlessly.” Today, Children’s Hospital has the capacity and infrastructure to create a true DR environment to help serve the thousands of children and staff who pass through its doors every year.
“The GTRI team executed flawlessly. The efficiency GTRI provided enabled us to move the entire data center over a weekend. We wouldn’t have been able to meet this schedule without their expert assistance.” – Andrew Blackmon, CTO, Children’s Hospital Colorado
Children’s Hospital Colorado’s secondary data center was housed in an aging facility with inadequate cooling and electrical components and lacked the capacity to back up its primary data center.
IT leadership decided to move the backup to provide the Hospital with the necessary capabilities to safeguard its critical data, including electronic patient health information (ePHI).
How We Helped
GTRI experts sprung into action to help Children’s Hospital Colorado migrate its data center facility with minimal risk, disruption or downtime. Our work included:
- Overall migration and implementation plan
- Multiple pre-move readiness, continuity and failover validations
- Execution of “like for like” physical move
- Protection of patient health information and other key data at all times
- Architectural walk-through and validation
- Full ‘as built’ documentation
- Management and coordination of multiple hardware vendors including individual maintenance contracts and availability of backup solutions in case of failover
Results, Return on Investment and Future Plans
Today, Children’s Hospital IT staff is hard at work building up the “compute” aspects of its new environment. High on the priority list is creating the ability to access data via a medical records farm and implementing a true DR environment.
It’s safe to say that none of these capabilities and safeguards would be possible without a successful data center migration at the beginning. For that, Children’s Hospital looked to GTRI, its longtime partner, to pull off the move through meticulous planning and execution of every logistical aspect imaginable – all while keeping critical data secure at all times. And GTRI came through.
Children’s Hospital is a world-class facility. It needed a world-class backup data center to match. Through its longstanding relationship with GTRI, the Hospital was able to architect and implement the solution with zero downtime, allowing the team to focus on more critical work for the patients, families and medical professionals it serves.
“All of GTRI’s work culminated in the smooth and successful move of our data center. I enjoyed working with the GTRI team. Their awesome attitudes and ‘get it done’ mentality was greatly appreciated and integral to our shared success.” – Lance Meacham, Manager of Network Infrastructure, Children’s Hospital Colorado